In this course, you will learn how to put Excel to use to deliver accounting and financial solutions in critical areas such as formatting reports and financial statements using advanced techniques, assembling and printing reports and schedules, and using templates to automate reporting processes. You will also learn options for consolidating financial data from multiple sources, how to create Excel visualizations to improve reader’s comprehension of financial information, and advanced data analysis techniques such as PivotTables connected in real-time to your accounting database.
- Financial Analysis
Fundamental knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel 2007 or newer
Accounting and financial professionals desiring more knowledge in using Excel for financial statement preparation and analysis.
- Implement techniques such as Custom Formats, Conditional Formatting, and the Accounting Format for formatting financial statements and other Excel-based reports more efficiently.
- Identify opportunities to streamline report assembly and printing with tools such as Camera, Custom Views, linked and embedded objects, and working with Excel-based reports saved as PDF documents.
- Differentiate between Excel’s default templates and templates for financial reporting and analysis; create templates and apply them to financial reporting and analysis situations.
- Apply Excel features, such as Sorting, Data Tables, Subtotal, Filters, and PivotTables to aid in financial reporting and analysis.
- List and apply four techniques for consolidating data in Excel.
- Create visualizations in Excel to aid in communicating financial data information to consumers, including differentiating between different types of charts and identifying the circumstances under which certain types of charts are preferable.
Thomas G. Stephens, Jr., received a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degree (Major in Accounting) from Auburn University in 1985. Upon graduation, Mr. Stephens began working for an Atlanta-based public accounting firm. After earning his designation as a Certified Public Accountant, Mr. Stephens worked for BellSouth Corporation in Atlanta as an Internal Auditor. After two years as an auditor, he was promoted to Staff Manager and then Operations Manager of the Internal Audit Group. In 1991, he transferred to the Comptrollers’ department of BellSouth and served as Manager of the Cost Accounting organization. While working full-time at BellSouth Corporation, Mr. Stephens also attended graduate school, earning a Masters of Science (Major in Finance) from Georgia State University in 1992.
Mr. Stephens left BellSouth in 1994 and opened his public accounting practice in the metropolitan Atlanta area. In his practice, Mr. Stephens provided accounting, tax, and consulting services to individuals and a wide variety of small and emerging businesses. As part of his practice, he developed a successful consulting practice providing installation and support services of small business accounting software. Additionally, he began authoring and presenting continuing professional education courses to accounting and finance professionals. In 2003, Mr. Stephens affiliated with K2 Enterprises and in 2007 he joined the firm as a partner. To date, he has lectured nationally on subjects such as internal controls for small businesses, technology strategies, computer hardware and software applications, tax strategies and compliance, and financial accounting standards and applications. Over the past nineteen years, Mr. Stephens has presented in excess of 1,800 educational sessions to over 55,000 participants nationwide.
Presently, Mr. Stephens resides in Woodstock, Georgia where, in addition to his association with K2 Enterprises, he provides consulting services to small businesses and CPA firms. In addition to an active professional career, Mr. Stephens enjoys an active personal life as well. He and Michelle – his wife of twenty-nine years – have two children. His hobbies include snow skiing, fishing, and running. Additionally, Mr. Stephens maintains professional memberships with the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Georgia Society of Certified Public Accountants and is a past member of the Institute of Internal Auditors.
Non-Member Price $275.00
Member Price $225.00