The Controller’s Operational Skills Program is designed to enhance your role on the management team by sharpening your skills in risk management and controls, ethical leadership, planning, budgeting and forecasting, performance measurement approaches and financial reporting. Explore ways to maximize the effectiveness of your accounting department through staffing and structure, policies and procedures, and process and quality management, and gain insights into performance enablers for success.
As a Controller, you are expected to be the financial expert in your organization. You are relied upon to produce, analyze and interpret the financial data that will be used by the executive team to make key financial decisions. To excel, you must continuously demonstrate leading edge knowledge and keen business acumen.
Approximately half of the total program time is allocated to group activity and discussion to build a high level of engagement, sharing of participants’ ideas and general networking.
This is a multiple day event. The start and end time for each day are listed below:
- September 20, 2021 – 1:00pm to 4:00pm
- September 21, 2021 – 8:30am to 4:30pm
- September 27, 2021 – 8:30am to 4:30pm
- September 28, 2021 – 8:30am to 12:30pm
The Controller’s Role
- A framework for effective controllership
- Risk identification, management and controls
- Planning, budgeting and forecasting
- Performance monitoring and reporting
- Financial standards and statutory reporting
Running an Effective Accounting Department
- Organizing an effective accounting team (including people and process)
- Purchasing and payables
- Credit, billing and collections
- Inventory planning and management
- Cash planning and management
Performance Enablers and the Way Forward
- Brief introduction to managing change
- Information technology – today and tomorrow
- Controller’s role in HR management
- Emerging issues and trends
- Personal life skills, action planning and closing
CPAs, finance professionals, and accountants.
This program is designed to enhance your role on the management team by sharpening your skills in risk management and controls, ethical leadership, planning, budgeting and forecasting, performance measurement approaches and financial reporting.
Pre-reading, participant background survey, participant profile (2.25 hrs.), and homework and reading (2.25 hrs.)
Mia Maki, BA, MBA, FCPA, FCMA is a Principal of a consulting firm and a Professor with the University of Victoria Gustavson School of Business, with over 25 years of teaching experience. She has worked in Finance and Accounting since 1986 and has experience in a wide variety of industries, including audio technology, airlines and aviation, not-for-profit, public accounting, marine transportation, fisheries monitoring, gaming and other technology arenas
Non-Member Price $1,670.00
Member Price $1,570.00