The Enterprise Risk Management Fundamentals Program is a stand-alone program most beneficial to financial professionals with a few years of experience, who want to learn the fundamentals of risk management in order to either further their career, or add value to their organization.
This highly interactive and hands-on learning program will include instructor led discussions, group discussions and case studies, all supported by a current and comprehensive resource materials package.
This is a multiple day event. The start and end time for each day are listed below:
- October 18, 2021 – 8:30am to 4:30 pm
- October 20, 2021 – 8:30am to 4:30 pm
- October 22, 2021 – 8:30am to 4:30 pm
Introduction to Enterprise Risk Management
- Definitions - Risk and Enterprise Risk Management (ERM)
- ERM and Corporate Governance
- Benefits and limitations of ERM
- The ERM “Wheel”
Establish Context for Managing Risk
- The Ethics of Risk Management
- Establishing the tone at the top
- Risk appetite
- Risk taxonomy
- Roles and responsibilities
Risk Identification and Risk Assessment
- Risk identification – approaches/techniques to identifying risk
- Risk assessment – inherent risk and residual risk
- Risk measurement criteria
- Risk Heat Maps, Risk Registers and other Risk Management tools
- Risk and control assessments
- Risk avoidance
- Risk acceptance/retention
- Risk transfer
- Risk mitigation with controls
- Developing and implementing successful risk treatment/response plans
- The Risk Bow Tie
Risk Monitoring and Risk Reporting
- Areas of priority for monitoring
- Key performance indicators
- Key risk indicators
- Who's the audience? Various types of stakeholders for reporting
- Best practices in effectively communicating and reporting to senior executives or board members
Incorporating into Strategic Decisions and Implementing ERM
- The keys to success in implementing an ERM program
- ERM in a small- to medium-sized business
- Incorporating ERM into Strategic Decisions
- Tips for successfully implementing ERM into your organization
CPAs, finance professionals, and accountants.
- Understand how Enterprise Risk Management enhances Corporate Governance and aligns with business strategy and corporate culture.
- Develop the ability to identify and assess the various risks that may have a critical impact on business, and choose the optimal risk mitigation strategies.
- Develop successful strategies for reporting on risks for Senior Management and Boards.
- Learn and properly apply key Risk Management tools, including Risk and Control Assessments and Key Risk Indicators
Reading, Participant profile, and homework.
Bill Wesioly, CPA, CMA (Ontario) is a Risk Management consultant. His background is in the financial services industry, first with BMO and then with RBC.
The last 15 years of his banking career was in successfully building and leading risk management programs.
He currently teaches with CPA Ontario and CPAs in other provinces including CPABC. His recent consulting assignments included Buduchnist Credit Union, Hillfield Strathallan College, Canadian Stewardship Services Alliance, Ministry of Environment Canada - Great Lakes Region, and the Ktunaxa First Nations.
He has also recently published a Management Accounting Guideline for CPA Canada – A Practical Approach for Managing Risks in Small – Medium Size Organizations.
Non-Member Price $1,670.00
Member Price $1,570.00